Xen Document Days/TODO
Go back to Xen Document Days
- 1 Requested Documentation
- 1.1 In progress (just need to double check whether finished)
- 1.2 Open work items
- 1.2.1 Xen Wikipedia page
- 1.2.2 Getting started with Xen using xen-tools
- 1.2.3 XCP Overview
- 1.2.4 A Xen Security Guide
- 1.2.5 Xen 4.2: VCPU pinning
- 1.2.6 Reviiew and Update: xenpm usage recommendations
- 1.2.7 HOWTO : using xm trigger to poweroff or firing off NMIs
- 1.2.8 HOWTO: Setting boot order for domUs (PV and HVM)
- 1.2.9 HOWTO: Chain pypxeboot and pygrub
- 1.3 Done Recently
- 2 Developer Docs
- 3 Wiki Maintenance
In progress (just need to double check whether finished)
Improve networking documentation
Expand Host Configuration/Networking docs to cover non-bridge network configurations supported by xend (e.g. routed, nat'd). Possibly split into a page per config.
- Lars.kurth 19:50, 25 June 2012 (UTC) : Significant work has been done to Xen Networking. Not sure whether the review tag from Xen_Networking can be removed
A Xen Performance Tuning Guide
- Which workloads work for which virt mode. Network considerations. NUMA. VCPU Pinning. Etc.
- Examples from the KVM world: Guest perf tuning, KVM options affecting performance, Comprehensive guide covering pinning, caching, memory, huge pages, etc.
- Lars.kurth 19:50, 25 June 2012 (UTC) : Work has been done on Tuning. Not sure whether more needs to be done.
Open work items
Xen Wikipedia page
Review and update http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen - in particular the "Host: Unix-like systems" is out-of-date. The Guest section is too.
Getting started with Xen using xen-tools
Given that we are getting a lot more total novices to the community I was wondering whether it makes sense to add something like: getting started with xen-tools. See http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Building_a_Xen_Guest_Domain_using_Xen-Tools and http://xen-tools.org/software/xen-tools/ and http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/246910 this.
Similar to Xen Overview
A Xen Security Guide
The different options in Xen for Security, trade-offs, how to set them up, how to test Xen for security and how to optimize for different scenarios
- User Docs that where migrating content would make sense and update such as (we can attach PDF's to the wiki now for starters, or we can use a conversion tool
Xen 4.2: VCPU pinning
Some more documentation outside the context of NUMA, see Xen_Numa_Scheduling_and_Placement
Reviiew and Update: xenpm usage recommendations
HOWTO : using xm trigger to poweroff or firing off NMIs
Howto on using xm trigger to poweroff or firing off NMIs.
HOWTO: Setting boot order for domUs (PV and HVM)
Howto set up boot order for domUs (all virt modes)
HOWTO: Chain pypxeboot and pygrub
How to chain pypxeboot and pygrub
- Lars.kurth 10:35, 27 March 2012 (UTC): Is pypxeboot popular at all?
- Fheigl I added that. It is somewhat common, OVM 2 and OVM 3 rely on it for PXE installs. I'm not sure if xenpvnetboot is the same, or works. The use case is "you want to use the same installation server for Xen VMs and phys. servers. You want to be able to reinstall them based on PXE reply.
- Fheigl There is documentation for pypxeboot, but there is no (afaik) documentation for how pygrub is used as a fallback loader. We wasted many days just to get some hack that can't even load a newer kernel. Which sucks, in the end you spend more time/money making PV PXE boot work than you save by using virtualized servers.
- Fheigl Q3: How could it be popular given the state of documentation. <= Key issue to the left of this sentence.
- Make Host Install and Guest Install more useful
- Feature Status Doc : Xen_Release_Features
- Xen Overview which explains the top level architectural features and options, trade-offs and links to examples tutorials that show how you set these up
- List i.e. stuff what to test after packaging. This would avoid the current state of affairs where most distros are infact broken w/re to Xen. See Distros
- Installation Guides: How to install on various distros. Tag with Category:Host Install and Category:Guest_Install.
- vcpu pinning
Docs that need attention or are missing
- Make XAPI docs (built from source) available on xen.org
- PVOPS portal on xen.org - Konrad volunteered
- some more xenstore docs (i.e. recent python bindings that were sent to the -users list
- Using libxenstat python bindings (imo they're broken)
- More PV protocol docs (see recent patches to blkif.h for example)
- Document xenstore paths used by guests and toolstack etc
- Xen command line options documentation in tree (started, but not complete)
Fix artcles that need attention
- Category:Contains_Needs_Action - Pages that need fixing
- Category:Contains_Needs_Formatting - Pages that need formatting
- Special:WantedPages - Missing pages (many may just need to be migrated), some may be obsolete
We need to go through some of the categies on the http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Main_Page and decise whether there are documents in each category that need to be highlighted in a trail, etc.
Loose ends on migration
- Migrate remaining wiki pages (see Wiki_Community/Migration_Instructions_from_Old_to_New_Xen_Wiki)