AB Meeting/December 2014 Minutes

From Xen
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendees

  • Lars Kurth (chair, non-voting)
  • Don D Dugger (Intel)
  • Matt Wilson (AWS)
  • Mike Woster (LF, non-voting)
  • James Bulpin (Citrix)
  • Larry Wikelius (Cavium)
  • Sarah Conway (LF, non-voting)
  • Philippe Robin (ARM)
  • Sherry Hurwitz (AMD)
  • Antony Messerli (Rackspace)

Quorum

Referred to Documents

[1] Xen Project Community Plan for 2014 - End of Year Update.pdf

[2] Xen Project Spending Priorities 2015.pdf

[3] Contract_Xen_Project_12192.pdf (contract for Xen Project Developer Summit)

Update on 2014 Objectives

Lars went through [1]

Discussion & Questions

  • Sarah pointed out that about 200 of the stories in Q4 related to XSA 108 (in the previous quarter around 300 were related to XSA 108)
  • Larry asked whether we understood the reasons why Xen Project fell from #2 hypervisor to #5 in 2014
  • Lars: in my view this was a combination of lack of leadership and engagement from within the Xen Project community with the OpenStack community. As well as the fact that the OpenStack community was going to deprecate Hypervisors in Quality group C for the IceHouse release (which I believe has not happened). This has dented confidence in Hypervisor. Citrix is willing to help increase Xen + LIBVIRT + OpenStack testing with the goal of getting Xen+LIBVIRT support to group B (and maybe to A, if achievable) within and has assigned an engineer. However this does depend on some support from other vendors on the board: thus the suggestion to create a Working Group.
  • Lars: James is this correct?
  • James: agrees
  • Don: it is correct that there is no active Xen community within OpenStack

Also see discussion further down the minutes

Motion.jpg RESOLUTION:  the board agrees with the points made in [1]

Allow STARTUP membership class members to attend AB meetings as non-voting attendees

No objections

Motion.jpg RESOLUTION:  Allow STARTUP membership class members to attend AB meetings as non-voting attendees

Proposed 2015 Spending Priorities

Lars went through [2]

There were no objections.

  • Mark: agrees that developers should not have to do wiki, list and similar infrastructure maintenance and get too involved in managing suppliers.
  • Lars: the issue with the Test infrastructure was that most of it is also non-standard, so in that case it is hard to see how this could be done without developer inout (at least initially)


Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Lars: to produce a list of sysadmin activities for the project to be discussed with the Linux Foundation at CollabSummit
Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Lars: to work on a more detailed budget and plan based on [2] for the January meeting

Motion.jpg RESOLUTION:  board agrees with proposal for Xen Project Developer Summit in 2015


Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Mike: Sign [3] on behalf of the project

OpenStack Working Group

We briefly touched on whether we should create a Working Group with the aim to establish more active Xen Project leadership and engagement within the OpenStack community. We did not get into details and deferred to the next board meeting.


Pictogram voting comment 15px.png Action Lars: to work on a proposal on how an OpenStack WG within the Xen Project could help address the leadership and quality issues within OpenStack