AB Meeting/November 2013 Minutes
- Lars Kurth (Citrix/Chair)
- James Bulpin (Citrix/voting)
- Daniel Kiper (Oracle)
- Konrad Wilk (Oracle/voting)
- Donald D Dugger (Intel/voting)
- Larry Wikelius (Calxeda/voting)
- Matt Wilson (AWS/voting)
- Sherry Hurwitz (AMD/voting)
One member company short of quorum
Preparing for 2014 objectives and budget
Action Lars: Prepare budget proposal and concrete project objectives by Friday 6th of December to the list IMPORTANT: Discuss budget and objectives at Dec 17th meeting and vote on it!
Action All: Please let me know, whether you can/cannot make the meeting
Assumptions for budget:
- Assuming that Verizon and Samsung membership can be resolved
- We are likely to have a total of 15 member companies by the beginning of 2014, which would give us a total budget of $375K – G&A fees income in 2014
- We have $228,437.50 in the bank – 2013 expenses – G&A fees (my gut feel is that we have just over $200K)
Action Lars: Get exact figures for budget
Lars: proposed the following framework for putting together the budget
- We assume we have between £350K-$400K (excluding 15% G&A fees to spend in 2014).
- In reality we are finding, that it is harder to spend what we allocated. So being on the upper side, should be fine.
- Lars’ proposal would be to allocate
- $100K for AR/PR proposal (approx. 25%)
- 50% of budget (approx. $200K) for creation of common test framework
- The rest (which is between $50-$100K) for activities benefiting the developer community (e.g. student programs, travel stipends, …)
Lars asked members whether anyone objects. No objections
Larry: asked to break down spending per category by quarter such that we see a quarterly distribution
Lars: as for objectives – I would like to introduce some firmer targets along the lines of "Grow number of contributors in 2014 by 10%”
Action All: Please send any suggestions and input to Lars for inclusion of proposal
Sherry: asked, assuming we grow beyond 15 members and cannot spend the funds, who would set the membership fees for the project. In other words,
Lars: level of membership dues is the responsibility of the Advisory Board. AMD could propose a motion for voting.
2014 events and Advisory Board Face 2 Face meetings
Xen Hackathon and Dev Summit
Developer Summit: Lars proposed that the 2014 Dev Summit will be co-located with LinuxCon NA, Chicago, the week of Aug 18-22. This would include a ½ day developer meeting and board and WG meetings.
Action Lars: reach out to Angela and get proposal with costs and share with AB Hackathon: Lars has an offer from GlobalLogic to host a Xen Hackathon in spring (beginning of Apr or May) in Israel (Tel Aviv or Jerusalem). Lars is not sure how accessible Israel for most US and asia AB members (and there staff) is.
Action Lars: send out mail to xen-devel ✓ see 
Action All: Let Lars know, whether the location is a non-starter for core contributors (NOTE that so far only Citrix staff responded to the thread). Also let me know of any corporate events which may conflict with
If Israel is not desirable, I will need to find an alternative host for the Hackathon. I would like to break the cycle where both events (Hackathon, Summit) are always in the same country.
Options for 2014 face-2-face meetings
- Linux Collab Summit (Napa Valley, CA, March 26 - 28)
- LinuxCon NA / Xen Dev Summit (Chicago, IL, Aug 20-22) … Xen Dev Summit most likely from 18-19
- LinuxCon EU (Dusseldorf, Germany, Oct 13-15)
Please reply with “+1 <event>” on this thread, if you were planning to attend a specific event anyway aka reply with “+1 Linux Collab Summit” Please reply with “-1 <event>” on this thread, if you cannot attend a specific event Please reply with “0 <event>” on this thread, if you could attend a specific event, but do not yet have plans yet
I think we should shoot for 2 face-2-face meetings, but could have the option of 3.
My personal response is:
“+1 Linux Collab Summit” “+1 LinuxCon NA / Xen Dev Summit” “0 LinuxCon EU”